Estimating the demand for people and skills and planning the supply needed to meet that demand.
Activities may include — but are not limited to:
- assessing the current state of the workforce
- identifying the workforce required for current and future activities
- adopting or developing a skills and capabilities framework
- developing plans to close gaps between current state and future state using actions such as — but not limited to — external recruitment, internal development, re-skilling, sourcing external partners, organisational design, outplacement
- influencing organisational policies and practices to align recruitment, learning, promotion and recognition and reward to support the development of an inclusive and diverse workforce
- ensuring compliance with relevant statutory or external regulations and codes of practice.
|Level 4: Enable|
Gathers, maintains and analyses workforce capability data.
Performs gap analysis to identify workforce strengths and shortfalls with reference to business strategy and specific future needs.
Contributes to the development of workforce plans to meet current and future demand.
Coordinates and schedules ongoing workforce planning activities. Assists in maintaining a skills and capability inventory.
|Level 5: Ensure, advise|
Leads the development of workforce plans to ensure the availability of appropriately skilled resources to meet organisational objectives and commitments.
Contributes to the development of the workforce planning approach. Oversees and reviews the implementation of workforce plans.
Develops current-state assessment of workforce skills, capabilities and potential. Forecasts future workforce demand for skills based on business plans and external factors.
Maintains a skills and capability inventory and identifies options for closing gaps.
|Level 6: Initiate, influence|
Defines the workforce planning approach for a significant part of the organisation in line with strategic business goals.
Communicates the workforce planning approach and obtains organisational commitment. Selects frameworks to be used for the organisation's skills and capability inventory.
Interprets business strategy to direct workforce demand forecasting (skills and numbers) for the organisation. Monitors the external environment in relation to supply and emerging trends.
Influences people management policies and practices to align with workforce plans. Integrates with resourcing strategies and plans. Monitors execution of workforce plans.