The Manawatū Tech Collective is an industry led non profit organisation working towards a thriving local technology hub. Strong tech companies thrive in a strong tech ecosystem.
Drawing skilled people to the area is hard. Larger centres have higher wages, better beaches and more night life. Local businesses are often not aware that local tech companies have the talent and experience to provide excellent solutions. Students studying at Massey and UCol leave town unaware that there are companies here with global impact would would love to hire them. Big name vendors and speakers stick to the main centres.
Local tech company owners tried fix this for years, but everyone was so busy running their businesses that no one had time to build momentum and keep things moving. ManawaTech was formed and funded by those leaders. Membership is by annual subscription. A board is elected by the members at the Annual General Meeting each year.
Our aims are to:
Build Local Talent
- Attract talent to the region. Senior developers and technical people are in high demand here
- Promote the region as a good place to have a tech career (affordable living, family friendly, easy commute)
- Retain talent in the region with networking, mentoring, training opportunities
- Provide a career path here, jobs for spouses, internships for children
- Exchange programs, pools of interns, freelancers, contractors to take the overload
- Promote and help coordinate the tech ecosystem in the region
- Communicate local and national opportunities (email newsletter, LinkedIn)
- Promote local tech business to the local community: buy local!
- Network with other tech groups in other regions
- Increase engagement of local tech companies and staff with each other (eg through Meetups)
Tell our Story
- List on our web site, a hub of tech companies with many different uses.
- Regular articles promoting local tech success stories / innovations
- Invitations to be part of big national events (Tech Week, Innovation Expo, etc)
Support the Future
- Find people for tech education in schools
- Coordinate with Massey & Ucol for student projects, summer work, and internships
- Coordinate with other initiatives (Callaghan student grants, Shadow Tech, Summer of Tech, 123Tech, careers expo)
- Create mentoring opportunities
We are part of a much broader Tech Ecosystem nationwide. This lets us bring people and events to town that would normally just go to the big centres.