ManawaTech is supported by the local tech industry. It keeps us focussed on meeting our aims.
|Bronze||1-3 tech staff||$300/year|
|Silver||4-12 tech staff||$1500/year|
|Gold||13+ tech staff||$3000/year|
All plans are an annual subscription payable from the date you you join, automatically renewing on the 1 year anniversary. Prices exclude GST. Only companies can join. All our tools for individuals like the CV database, jobs, meetups, events and mentoring are free.
The primary tangible / visible benefits are
- Your listing on this web site
- Tools for hiring: go fishing in our CV database, list your jobs, update your profile with the tools you use so potential employees can find you.
- Invitations to different kinds of networking or educational events
- Updates about products, services, training and other things we think you will find useful via email, LinkedIn, and more
- Bringing training or speakers to town that you would otherwise have to travel for
- Coordination for nationwide events that have local components like TechWeek, 123Tech, Summer of Tech, IT Professionals and many more
Uses for the web site
- Skilled tech people looking for work, or work for their spouses. They want to browse a list of tech companies and match their skills to your stack
- Recent graduates looking for their first job. There are some excellent people coming out of Massey and UCol. Too many leave town because they do not know where to look for work
- Interns looking for placements; students looking for capstone project assignments
- Local companies looking to buy local. They have problems to solve and want to know who can help them
- Media, CEDA, councils and other groups looking for local success stories
- Local tech people looking for professional development opportunities, mentoring or career progression
- A database of local meetups and events.
- Tracking local ecosystem statistics
The intangible benefits are harder to measure: you know them when the world seems to be working a little better somehow. Creating these benefits are where most of our work will go
- Making connections between people, groups and companies
- Facilitating employment conversations: matching people to potential jobs
- Encouraging and resourcing various groups, like the volunteer led meetups
- Working to gradually "lift the tide" so that everyone benefits
Frequently Asked Questions
Will my staff get poached?
A more liquid / fluid employment market is a sign of a healthy tech ecosystem: proof that ManawaTech is successful. Good people are hard to find and are in high demand. Software people need to keep learning to stay fresh and on the edge of their game. If they have been with you for a few years, they may have hit the limit of how far they can grow and be looking for a new challenge. How can we take a longer term career view of our staff? If you let them go and cheer them on, maybe they will come back in a few years with new skills that will really make a difference to your product or profitability. Keeping them local means they are still here "in the pool". If you have an great work environment with interesting challenges, it will draw people in. Word will spread. As we work alongside each other and become more connected as a tech ecosystem, trust will build. Maybe there are other options if another company needs them for a short time, like a secondment or a sabbatical?
What is my subscription spent on?
ManawaTech is like the plastic thingy that holds a six pack together. We had so many great companies changing the world in their own way, but not much connection between them. We started ManawaTech because it's something the local tech community wanted, but no one had the time to actually make it happen. Your financial support pays the wages and admin overheads of running a small non-profit organisation. We do our best to keep it lean, and to stay close to the ground so we can listen well.
Take a look at out Statistics page, for the easily measurable outcomes. Much of our work is intangible: communication, fostering networks, building people and relationships.
Who is in charge?
Currently we have one part time staff member (an "Executive Officer": 10-20 hours per week) with close accountability to a board that meets monthly. Members are welcome to attend the AGM and will have opportunity to join the board if nominated and voted in by your peers.
How can I help?
Thanks for your enthusiasm!
- If you know of tech companies who aren't members, spread the word. The more we have, the better / bigger / more attractive we look as a combined ecosystem.
- We'd love to hear your success stories and publish them through as many channels as we can find.
- If you are facing challenges, maybe we can find someone in our network who will know how to help.
- Lending a hand at events is always welcome.
- Join the board and offer your unique perspective.
- Sign up as a mentor to help the next generation up.
- Follow and Like our stuff on LinkedIn to help get the story out
- Add a membership badge to your web site to help more people find us